The Sanitation Manger works with the production, maintenance, and quality departments to ensure compliance with GMP’s and Federal, State, and local food safety standards. The Sanitation Manager is a coach and mentor to sanitation employees, verifies and validates cleaning practices and provides insights for improvement. Responsible for ensuring that entire facilities are operating in a hygienic manner on a continuous basis.
Direct Reports: Sanitation Supervisor, Sanitation Leads.
- Develop and maintain a sanitation program that includes hiring direct reports, writing SSOPs, comprehensive training, documentation, master sanitation schedule compliance, process improvement, audit preparation, safety procedures compliance, inventory maintenance and new and existing process cleaning validations.
- Lead a sanitation department that ensures all cleaning systems and plant sanitation programs are in compliance to company food safety and regulatory requirements as well as federal, state and local regulations, SQF, and customer requirements.
- Support food safety policies to include allergen control and environmental monitoring program.
- Assess plant sanitary conditions, identify risk based on food safety principles and determine corrective actions.
- Review sanitation staff job descriptions and key objectives to be met for all direct reports in conjunction with Quality Assurance Leadership. Job descriptions should reflect strict division of labor/responsibility within the department and should state explicitly all given responsibilities and promote direct accountability.
- Schedule all direct reports – to provide adequate coverage for a comprehensive daily, weekly, monthly, etc. sanitation program.
- Provide appropriate chemical and safety training for all direct reports.
- Assist QA Leadership by providing quantitative and justifiable criteria for all inefficiencies in staffing, equipment, procedures and programs. Communicate any/all possible improvements.
Ensure all scheduled plant sanitation activities for processing equipment is executed as defined in the SSOPs and efficiently.
- Ensure all direct reports follow a strict regimen of safety precautions while cleaning.
- Develop/Review, maintain and monitor Master Sanitation Schedule.
- Develop/Review, maintain and monitor sanitation standard operating procedures for all CIP circuits, processing equipment, packaging equipment, building, etc., to ensure repeat-ability of cleaning standards and efficacy.
- Participate in food safety and regulatory audits.
- Responsible for overseeing the purchasing of sanitation supplies and operating within budget
- Ensure all cleaning equipment and tools are maintained for peak performance and effective cleaning.
- Ensure proper concentrations of chemicals, and temperatures are reached to maintain an effective cleaning.
- Collaborate with Production Leadership to ensure all changeovers are executed properly.
- Provide technical assistance to QA Leadership for continually improving methodologies and programs.
- Lead team in troubleshooting efforts for CIP, COP, and sanitation related issues.
- Make recommendations regarding personnel requirements and training needs.
Other responsibilities as assigned by Management.
Education, Experience, Skills
- High school diploma or equivalent – Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 5+ years experience in Food Manufacturing in Quality/Sanitation, preferred, with at least 3 years in a supervisory position.
- Experience in scheduling, training, and directing cleaning crews.
- Knowledge and experience working with HACCP and Sanitation principles, verification and validation methods.
- Good understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s)
- Experience with GFSI Auditing platforms such as SQF or BRC.
- Successfully coaches, trains, and follows up with people to ensure sanitation goals are met.
- General knowledge of equipment used in bakeries
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Empowerment, Collaboration, Motivation, and Enthusiasm – supervisory skills; demonstrates leadership by influencing others in implementing sanitation programs through effective communication, individual technical knowledge, and training.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Attention to Detail.
- Operational Efficiency.
- Self-motivated, strong problem identification and resolution kills
- Must be proficient in computer skills and familiar with Word and Excel.
- Bilingual English/Spanish will be helpful but not required.
- Must be willing to work day or night shift as needed, including weekends.